Saturday, September 26, 2015

Ranking the Best Disney Films by Era

With my mind currently on the millions of college football rankings and statistics (and Duke's lack of a ranking for a football ranking), I've decided to pick the best Disney films from each of the major Disney eras. Before I actually pick the best movies, I guess I have to preface this post with an actual explanation of the distinct Disney eras, so here we go:

Fairy Tale era (Snow White --> Sleeping beauty) : What many I along with many others would characterize as the "Walt Era", the fairy tale era is defined by idealized protagonists, innocence triumphant over ambitious evil, doofus comic relief, Walt's era.

The Dark age (101 Dalmations --> Oliver & Company): Disney's dark age contains storylines with adventurous protagonists, bands of misfits, an emphasis on urban environments and villains based on vice.

The Disney Renaissance (The Little Mermaid --> Home on the Range)Following the "dark age", Disney changed things up a little by making movies with proactive protagonists, stories based on classic literature & folk tales, a heavy Broadway influence and first major use of CGI.

The Disney Revival (Chicken Little --> Present): Defined by protagonists & stories that subvert classics, influenced by Pixar and DreamWorks, traditional animation secondary to CGI and less emphasis on villains with more on social and emotional problems.

Now that you know each Disney era a little better, I'll give you a list of my favorite film from each era:

Fairy Tale era: This era is probably the easiest for me because it's my least favorite period of Disney films, excluding Pinocchio. There's just something about Pinocchio that's not only so epic for its time but also truly genuine. Truly a timeless movie in my honest opinion.

So epic


Dark age: Another easy one that goes to The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. While this movie is a classic with Winnie the Pooh being a true icon, Winnie the Pooh also holds some personal significance to myself. For whatever reason, Winnie the Pooh was my absolute favorite movie as a toddler and so my first christmas ornament ever was a Winnie the Pooh ornament that I hang on my family's Christmas tree each year. So yeah, Winnie the Pooh is pretty awesome.

Two of Disney's biggest franchises merged 


Disney Renaissance: Although this time period includes some of my favorite Disney films, I have to go with Tarzan as my victor. I've always loved rock climbing and the outdoors since I've been a little kid, so from the first time I saw Tarzan I wanted to be like him and swing from the vines in the jungle Spider-man-style. Close second goes to Lilo and Stitch.



Disney Revival: With this era being my favorite, I have no clearly favorite film. Pixar truly shines in this era and while I love every single Pixar film, I have to go with The Incredibles as my favorite movie from this era. The Incredibles just has the absolute perfect combination of fun, action, storyline, and pretty animation; I can't wait for the sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment